View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
It isn't possible in nook touch?

Thanks for that info, now I'm sure that don't change my k3 for this nook.

This feature is essential for me.

Thanks!!
If you are going to buy a new reader, I would say wait until the holiday season, because it is probable that Amazon will come out with a new reader, and I would much rather buy from Amazon than Barnes and Noble. Let me tell you why.

I used to own a Nook, until I forgot it in a hotel. On a side note, the person with my nook likes the Los Angeles Times. But here is what I learned from my time with a nook; Barnes and Noble lacks attention to detail. To put it in another way, they do a half-ass job on their features just so they can say they have them. Let me give a few examples.

Annotation and highlighting: Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble advertise these features, so they must at least be somewhat important. The Nook Classic annotation abilities are all but worthless. There is no way to search the annotations. There is no way to look them all up on one page. They are not backed up. There is no way to export them to your computer. From what I've read and seen in reviews, the All New Nook does allow you to look up your notes and highlights on one page, but there is still no way to export them.

Web Browser: The Nook Classic has a very good web browser, but unlike the Kindle, you cannot download books using the Nook browser.

Let's look at the shortcomings and misleading advertising of the All New Nook.

PDF features: If you watch the reviews, you'll learn that the All New Nook has mediocre PDF features that are vastly inferior to the capabilities of Kindle and Sony readers. Again, this just seems like an instance where B&N tacked on the feature just so they could say they have it.

Bookstore: What's wrong with the bookstore? Nothing really, except they advertise two million books, of which well over half (and likely three fourths) are Google books. Whereas as you can use download catalogues from Mobileread and project gutenberg to download public domain books directly onto your kindle, the free public domain books that you can download directly to the nook are crappy ocr'd unproofread google books. You can still sideload books onto the nook, but the whole idea of advertising "two million books" is that you can download them without a computer. Technically you can, but most of those two million books are crappy google books.

Dictionary Look-Up: As many reviewers have pointed out, you may tap on a word to look it up, but you may not type in a word to look up. Again, this is just a half-assed feature that is put in just so B&N can say they have it.

Annotations: As already noted, it has this feature, but there is no way to export the notes.

Also note that the All New Nook lacks landscape and audio features. The landscape can be added in firmware updates, but there are no speakers or audio ports.

Now I have nothing against the Nook Touch. It looks like a very good reader, and if touch screen navigation is the most important thing to you and you really want a reader with this feature now that is cheap, then by all means buy a nook touch. But as I've already shown, a lot of what B&N advertises is smoke and mirrors. Amazon has consistently shown a greater attention to detail than B&N (except for Amazon's crappy collections and book organization system, which is the only area where they have consistently failed to do a good job). Note that Kobo also has a touch reader, but from what I've seen in reviews, it seems really slow. Sony has great touch readers, but also a crappy store and a high price tag. Nevertheless, if I may be redundant and cliche, good things come to those who wait. The momentum in the ereader industry is clearly for touch screens, and Amazon is a very shrewd company, so it is just a matter of time that they come out with their own cheap touch reader. When they do, it will very likely have much better thought out features than the Nook Touch.

A full comparison can be found at this link, which conveniently lists the similarities, advantages of the nook, and advantages of the kindle: nook-touch-vs-kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
No its not true. Just more misinformation from kindle owners. Seems to be SOP as of late.
There is a common saying; "their are two kinds of people in the world; those that judge people by what book reader they own, and those that don't." Okay, maybe I made that up.

As far as the search features, if I remember with the Nook Classic, there is an intra-book search function, but not an inter-book search function. From reviews I have seen and the B&N website, I have not seen a demonstration or mention of a search feature on the Nook Touch. However, in a comparison chart between the Kindle and the Nook Touch on the-ebook-reader.com, its lists search as a common feature with the kindle. However, it does not say if search is both intra and interbook, or just intra book. Here is the full list of similarities.

Both have the same 6" E Ink Pearl display panel.
Both come with WiFi for downloading ebooks and periodical subscriptions directly.
Sharing features for posting to Facebook and Twitter.
Both support DRM-free ebooks, of course.
Archive ebooks (cloud storage).
Adjust line-spacing and margins.
Look up words in the dictionary.
Adjust font type (6 fonts for Nook, 3 fonts for Kindle).
Add notes, highlights, bookmarks to ebooks and periodicals.
Search, bookmarks, jump to page, table of contents.
Both have page-buttons on both sides of the screen.
Both boast long battery lives, ranging from a couple of weeks to 2 months, depending on a number of factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
if you aren't aware of the features then why would someone post it as feature it doesn't have?

bottom line don't post advantages and disadvantages of products if you aren't familliar of each products features.
What about what Barnes and Noble actually advertises? For instance, on their website, Barnes and Noble flat out and unequivocally says that the Nook Touch does not have a web browser. Should we not trust the word of the seller? Do you really want to buy stuff from a company that blatantly lies to you?
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote