View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #94
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Mmm... Looks like the federal court also doesn't think that it would be a good idea if this data was released? You cherry picked the quotes and conveniently ignored parts just to provide a one sided argument against Amazon...
My "cherry-picked" highlight of the linked (you're welcome) article clearly pointed out that North Carolina was "slapped down" by a federal court last week. Once again, given that my only concerns are privacy related, you seem to be surprisingly keen on portraying me as anti-Amazon. Let me try my newly obtained imaginary tinfoil hat on and ask you, are you a stockholder or an employee?

Putting ad hominem attacks aside, what will happen if by any chance another court decides to make a ruling against the company? Will you admit your mistake or will you just shrug and go about your day? It just seems that you care more about Amazon than you do about the value of privacy and its importance for other people. And the point stands: permanently storing that kind of personal data without explicit consent and no possible way of removing it may have serious repercussions not only for some theoretical overseas political dissidents, but on ordinary law-abiding citizens like you and me. Just because this particular disaster was averted, it doesn't mean that the next one will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Would you prefer that they didn't keep any records at all? I'll let you work out a suitable method of handling delivery, returns and warranty without any form of PI or trackable IDs.
Latitude=37.321441
Longitude=-122.030612
HDR Latitude=37.334167
HDR Longitude=-122.031113
content type=ebook
publication date=4/25/2008
length=MobiPosition_ 211399
last access=1980-01-01 00.00.00 +0000
last read position=MobiPosition_ 129777

Is that what the above log's entries are there for? Warranty repairs? And I thought I made myself pretty clear: the only thing I prefer is for them to either not to restrict the functionality of my own, legally purchased and fully paid for device, or to give me at least some basic form of direct control over my own personal data. Coincidentally, this seemingly straightforward and reasonable wish also makes me a troll, a lunatic, a malevolent cherry-picker, and, I assume, some kind of anti-corporatist Antichrist. Live and learn.