Thread: Kindle or EPUB?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #140
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Actually bad example, since buying books from B&N locks you into B&N forever as well.
However with both B&N and Kindle you can buy books from outside their stores. With the Kindle they must be DRM free. For B&N they must be Adobe DRM or DRM free.
All I know is that my e-reader (JBL) lets me purchase epub books from BN, Kobo, and Borders--but not Amazon--and lets me borrow library books. So I have choices that I would not have with Kindle. How am I locked into BN forever?

Quote:
Your lack of understanding in DRM is really the issue I have with ePUB. It's a subtle detail with a HUGE impact, most people don't understand it and see ePUB just like you. That is if they buy ePUB then it is accessible across all devices and that is far from the truth. If a format is associated with a DRM scheme then that virtually creates it's own format. With ePUB you have three formats an with the Kindle you have only one. To further exemplify my "One Format" point, you can even read MobiPocket books bought from any eBook store including library books on your kindle. So long as that Mobi book has your Kindle PID.
My public library has some books available in mobi. When I was deciding on a reader, I thought this meant I could get these books with a Kindle. But no, when I looked further at the borrowing FAQ, the Kindle was specifically mentioned as not supported. I'm sure there are ways around it, but with my e-reader I don't have to jump through any hoops.

Quote:
Also it looks like you are new to the eBook industry, so I'll clear something up, Amazon does not have a head start. SONY was in the business years before Amazon as was eReader.

However Amazon came in and did one thing neither of these guys did. Make buying books easy, selling books at low prices, and have a selection.
Yes, I am new, but I did know that Amazon wasn't actually the first. But as you indicate, it was the first in terms of putting the e-readers on the map, and that is what I was referring to, the popular perception.

Quote:
Yeah, I've never understood the library argument. Hey Amazon if you want my money support ePUB so I can borrow library books for free.
It's the same idea as when free e-books are offered--you read something by an author that's new to you, you like it, you buy more books by that author. If I read a library book and enjoy it, I'll buy it, or something else by that author that the library doesn't have.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote