View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
I understand that, but still, ePub is certainly not an obscure format, and I would think they would benefit from supporting it. They could certainly sell lots of eBooks in the format to non-Kindle users at the least, (or is there a DRM problem there?)
Yes, there is. They'd have to license Adobe's DRM to be compatible with the Nook and the Sony, and then there's the issue of delivering books to non-Amazon devices, and the technical support that would be required.

I've said this before, but once more with feeling: adding DRM'd ePub is not going to happen -- Amazon has no interest in paying licensing fees and support costs for someone else's format. And adding non-DRM ePub support would actually add little, since converting DRM-free ePub is easy for the more sophisticated Kindle user that would actually be interested.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote