Thread: Kindle or EPUB?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #67
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I live in the UK and have recently bought a Sony PRS 650; I had a Sony PRS 505 before. Here are my experiences:

When I bought the 505 Kindle's weren't really available in the UK direct from Amazon. I prefer the more stylish design (no ugly keyboard!) of the Sony, and still do. I have no use for the wifi/3G of the Kindle either.

I buy mainly from WHSmith (UK), Waterstones (UK) and Fictionwise (USA), and only from other sources (Amazon) when I can't get what I want. The selection at WHSmith and Waterstones is OK, and improving, and they sometimes have special deals.

Epub (without DRM) is a great format, and arguably more advanced than the mobi format used by Amazon. You can easily convert from other formats to epub using Calibre; if you want to take this further, you can also easily "tweak" epubs to get the style you like most, e.g., changing fonts, adjusting page margins, removing extra lines between paragraphs. My pet hate are ebooks that have a lot wasted space on the screen (wide margins, lines between paragraphs etc), so I like to "fix" these, which is easy with epubs (an epub is just a zip file--change the file extension to .zip and you can extract the contents for editing).

So, using non-DRM epub gives the best reading experience and future proofing, in my opinion, especially outside the USA.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote