View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #17
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Kindle Previewer does have iPhone simulation mode. While it's obviously not the same as the real thing, it does seem somewhat better at doing its job than the other Amazon-provided tools. At least, it mimics my K2's display with reasonable accuracy on the stuff I've tried.

But this, really, is why I personally prefer ePub as a format overall despite a lot of people claiming that Mobi's just as good. At least when something goes wrong, I have the luxury of being able to think it's probably some error in 1) my file formatting or 2) the reader's rendering, or perhaps some combination of both, rather than having to wonder if it's 3) the officially-supplied assembly tools being wrong and bad.

Incidentally, now that you've written the bloat-stripper to go along with mobiunpack, do you think it might be too much trouble to tweak either to optionally output a copy of the original source files that Amazon now insists the Kindlegenerated output includes?

I admit to a certain morbid curiosity regarding the occasional text whose formatting was so messed-up that I wondered how on earth they'd managed to acheive that effect, and it would be kind of nice to be able to possibly indulge it on future such examples that might come up, assuming they'll have been made with Amazon's tools.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote