View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now to try to put some of these ideas into practice. I'm going to see how much I can improve some of the formatting in my version of Kidnapped, which features several quotes, notes and letters that need to be indented in a variety of ways.
Well, I quickly found that I needed to know more. to do things properly.

So I thought I'd take a look at font sizes. What a mess!

Kindle's default font size is CSS's small font size, while ADE and other ePub renderers mostly take the default font size to be medium.

This means it's impossible to specify absolute font size in a span and get the same result on Kindle and ePub,

Worse, even specifying relative font sizes, by percentage or (in Kindle HTML) -3..+3 doesn't really generate relative sizes on Kindle - only relative to the base font size chosen by the user, not the current font size.

Ugh.... I'm still looking for some way of specifying font sizes that wrks the same for both Kindle and ePub that isn't just including lots of <big> and <small> tags directly in the XHTML.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote