View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks all. I have Joshua Talent's book and it has some good ideas, but isn't explicit enough for me, especially on what works when specifying styles in CSS and (obviously) using KindleGen.

I have indeed read all though the old and new documentation from Mobipocket and Amazon. But I don't want to have my books in Mobipocket-specific 'HTML'. I want to get my source files in proper XJTML that produces valid ePubs with roughly speaking the same formatting as an ePub that we get through using KindleGen on it - thus the use of a padding-left (which KindleGen ignores) with the negative text-indent.

As for fractional em values - no, KindleGen rounds fractional values to the nearest em.

And as for smaller font sizes - this is a personal choice. I think that having the indents scale with the displayed text size is more important than having the indent the same size for all paragraphs on a page. And I'm told (but haven't confirmed) that on Kindle the em is based of the base font size, not the particular font size of the paragraph.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote