Thread: Firmware Update Collection Manager, anyone interested
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #36
tsa1001
tsa1001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Noxin - I think you did a great job writing this program.

However, it is missing some features that are important to me. I already made a bunch of collections on my kindle (it was indeed panful), and I actually have multiple kindles. So, I wanted to have a version that would read all existing collections on a currently-connected Kindle, and arrange books directly on it. In addition, as others noted, the AZW/purchased books do not follow the same routine, and I want to make sure I exclude those from "normal" collection management (or find the right one). That's what prompted me to start my own development of it.

Personally (and I am not saying that this way is better) I approach such projects as Open Source, and give out source code under GPL, so people can improve on this and share it with me as well. This way I may learn something I did not know, or did not account for. I actually LIKE when people provide critique on my code, especially if they have more programming experience than me. It's free training for me

I will respect your wish (after all - you started this thread), and will not post any collaboration requests in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxin View Post
If you want to do this then I really can't stop you, as far as collaboration is concerned, short of a few bug fixes(if reported) I'm done with this idea.

When I started there was nothing like it in existence and I felt I could help others, but this competitive "must-have-12-versions-of-the-same-thing" attitude really bothers me in other software (mostly since it there's no need to refill a filled niche) and I really prefer not to see it in in this particular post.

I can see a definite demand for native Mac/Linux versions as seen earlier in this post. suggest working those instead, since I have very little time for those OS's and it would be good use for your time.

Please don't see this as me shutting you down, Its just that if I had seen any version before mine, I wouldn't have spent the time doing whats unneeded, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone else.
tsa1001 is offline   Reply With Quote