Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
downsides to having disable font rescaling always on?

I have an odd problem with one book producing weird font rescaling when I convert it to azw3 from mobi. I can fix it by checking the box "Disable font size rescaling" in the Look & Feel. What problems might I experience if I do that in the Preferences for all books?

( Here's the problem book: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319996 )
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
it means the books you read will no longer have consistent font sizes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you mean that book A could be displayed with a different font size than book B? In the Look & Feel Styling tab I do have the Fonts box checked for information I want completely removed.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
It means that the final product of each book will retain any specific font sizes that had been set by the book creator, such as for headings or epigraphs. Unfortunately, the book creator sometimes also sets strange sizes for body text. (Those might be set in <body> or <p> or <div> or with inline tags within the html itself.)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
It means that the final product of each book will retain any specific font sizes that had been set by the book creator, such as for headings or epigraphs. Unfortunately, the book creator sometimes also sets strange sizes for body text. (Those might be set in <body> or <p> or <div> or with inline tags within the html itself.)
Ah, ok; thanks.

Other than editing the css is there some way to override the author's font sizes so that all of my books display the same? I don't know if I'm an outlier but I feel like the reader ought to have the final say on stuff like that. E.g., all regular paragraphs should use a font-size of 1em and then I can bump it up or down in my e-reader.
Advert
Old 05-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I 'edit' every CSS
some just take a look-see <1min
other need major surgery ( Granny) OMG minutes

My goal is the main body of the work (typical <p>) is my standard (implied 1em), The proportions of the rest should follow (scale change in<body>)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
ditto.
For me, it is mostly automated. I use the extra css and filters in calibre and run each new book through an epub to epub conversion. That takes out silly fonts, over-rides widows & orphans...
then I manually inspect and tweak as needed, and remove unwanted next book previews, also by, adverts, copy write pages... so I can get straight to the story and know that it will end q at 100% progress.
when I tweak with sigil I also prettify, and remove unused styles, for ease of future tweaking
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Ah, ok; thanks.

.. E.g., all regular paragraphs should use a font-size of 1em and then I can bump it up or down in my e-reader.
yes but some novels will differently style diary page entries , letters, and other narrative stuff, which is ok until they set it in such small font sizes that its unreadable. I can cope with a mix of 1.0 and 0.9, but I don't care for anything smaller
It never made sense to me that an entire multi page preface should be in smaller font then the rest of the book. maybe that works in hardback, but not on an e-reader
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
yes but some novels will differently style diary page entries , letters, and other narrative stuff, which is ok until they set it in such small font sizes that its unreadable. I can cope with a mix of 1.0 and 0.9, but I don't care for anything smaller
It never made sense to me that an entire multi page preface should be in smaller font then the rest of the book. maybe that works in hardback, but not on an e-reader
Exactly! Exceptions get specific styles, A simple <p> for the bulk of the work of a typical Novel.
Obviously, Non-fiction will probably be a majority of exceptions, with tables, charts...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #10
lumpynose
Wizard

Thanks everyone; I'm glad to know that the hand editing I've been doing is not abnormal.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 PM   #11
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
When converting from an e-book source, I leave "Disable font rescalling" check on, unless the book in question has, to my opinion, poor font size choices.

Deciding on whether I'll fix those manually, or by letting Calibre scale the fonts, is on a case by case basis.

If using Calibre font scalling, I find calibre shrinks smaller font sizes *way* too much, so I use this font size key instead of the default:

10.5, 11.0, 11.5, 12.0, 13.5, 17.0, 20.0, 22.0, 24.0
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #12
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Exactly! Exceptions get specific styles, A simple <p> for the bulk of the work of a typical Novel.
Obviously, Non-fiction will probably be a majority of exceptions, with tables, charts...
I haven't enough experience to write a knowledgeable rant but my current thinking is that something like the following css should be sufficient for the majority of novels. (Largely lifted from html5 reset.)

Let the reader adjust the font size, margins, line spacing, etc. on their e-reader.

Code:
html, body, body div, span, object, iframe, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, blockquote, pre, abbr, address, cite, code, del, dfn, em, img, ins, kbd, q, samp, small, strong, sub, sup, var, b, i, dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li, fieldset, form, label, legend, table, caption, tbody, tfoot, thead, tr, th, td, article, aside, figure, footer, header, menu, nav, section, time, mark, audio, video, details, summary {
	margin: 0;
	padding: 0;
	border: 0;
	font-size: 100%;
	font-weight: normal;
	vertical-align: baseline;
	background: transparent;
}

p {
    display: block;
    font-size: 1rem;
    text-indent: 1.5rem;