Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Brian Lumley and his Necroscope Series

I started reading these as they came out and loved them.

I'm going back now and re-read the entire series. I was totally immersed in this series and loved the storyline and the writing. A Necroscope is someone who can communicate with the dead, but that only describes the surface of this incredible series. If you're a fan of vampires and a fan of pulp fiction writing, then I heartily recommend this series.

Here's a reading order, for those who are curious. (Note: This reading list differs from the publication order/list.)

http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Lumleys-...R32EJAW284P9SU

Here's Brian Lumley's website and his list:

http://www.brianlumley.com/books/necroscope/

There's been an option for a film for these books for quite some time. If a film is ever released (and is a success), you'll find a feeding frenzy on these books.

I own almost all of them in First Edition Hardcover. The First three, from one dealer, sells for $600

The first and second volumes can go as high as $250 each.

The good news is that they are available as ebooks.

Does anyone else have fond memories of this series? Or bad memories?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-05-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, I read some of his HP Lovecraft take-offs. I assume these are some sort of horror. How would you describe it? Is there some other similar type series? Have you ever read Paul Wilson's, the Keep? How does it compare in feel with that?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hum, I read some of his HP Lovecraft take-offs. I assume these are some sort of horror. How would you describe it? Is there some other similar type series? Have you ever read Paul Wilson's, the Keep? How does it compare in feel with that?
Paul Wilson:
I've read only the Keep, by Paul Wilson. There are other titles in that series, but that's the only one I've read thus far. Unfortunately (for me), I found it very tedious reading.

Brian Lumley:
For me, these Brian Lumley books combine espionage, horror, pulp-fiction writing, vampires, etc. all in a progressively complicated storyline. But for me, that's OK: I enjoy that type of writing. To summarize, reading them is fun, with plenty of horror thrown in.

I would suggest to anyone that he or she download a sample of the first one (Necroscope), and then see if that keeps one's interest.

The quality varies, of course, from one book to the next, but I think that's normal for a series of such length.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've come across this series several times and I keep forgetting about it. It looks like something I might enjoy, so I treated myself to the first in the series. Don't know when I'll get to it, I have to be in the right mood for horror, but it's now on my Kobo so I can't forget it.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I was a big fan of the series for awhile until
Spoiler:
the original necroscope "died" and was replaced by an likeable (IMO) jerk who didn't have a head for math.

Around that time too, it started to seem like Lumley was interested in milking the franchise for all it was worth, and a new spin-off seemed to be on the bookstore shelf every other week.

Still, I have really fond memories of the earlier books. They were original, Lovecraft inspired and packed with action (I still think back sometimes to the destruction of a certain Russian base).
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Oh yeah, that was a while ago. I think I read the first couple of books.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I thought it started off strong but, for me, I lost my taste for the series somewhere around the fifth book.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote