Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2022, 11:03 AM   #1
skimby
skimby began at the beginning.

Device: none
Clara 2e vs Libra 2

I've narrowed down my choices for my first e-reader to these two, but now I'm having a really hard time deciding. I usually read in my bed with my phone above my head and I wanted to know if the weight and shape difference on one would be more comfortable than the other for this use case. Also of note I have fairly small hands and don't know how well the edge on the Libra plays with those.

I also see a lot of people praising the Libra 2's screen size over the 2e, but does it actually make that much of a difference when reading? The squarer aspect ratio on the Libra 2 also seems strange to me and I've heard some mention that it isn't as nice for reading books, but I don't know how true that is.

I don't think portability is too much of a concern since I don't currently read much outside of my home.

Last edited by skimby; 11-19-2022 at 11:06 AM.
skimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
The displays on both devices are the same aspect ratio (4:3 I believe). It is only the shape of the entire device that is squarer on the Libra 2.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2022, 11:27 AM   #3
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Libra 2 has bigger screen and buttons.
I'd go for it just for the buttons.
Read one handed, either side, and turn pages with a squeeze of the thumb.
My hands aren't big and I find it light enough and easy to hold with my thumb over the button.
Libra 2 is the best reader I've ever had. Go for it!!
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:10 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Libra 2 has bigger screen and buttons.
I'd go for it just for the buttons.
Read one handed, either side, and turn pages with a squeeze of the thumb.
My hands aren't big and I find it light enough and easy to hold with my thumb over the button.
Libra 2 is the best reader I've ever had. Go for it!!
I'd not get any Reader because of the buttons. But I would go for the Libra 2 because of the larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 02:16 PM   #5
skimby

Thanks for the answers folks. Picked up the Libra 2 for $50 off on Amazon so that was a no brainer.
Advert
Old 11-19-2022, 03:25 PM   #6
skimby

Never mind the listing was suspicious. The point still stands! I've decided on the Libra
Old 11-19-2022, 07:53 PM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yeah, I almost fell for it, too, and recommended the price drop to somebody! Thankfully I noticed that it was not an official Kobo partner, first.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:48 PM   #8
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
The Libra 2 is currently discounted by 20 dollars at the US Kobo store. 159 from 179 dollars
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
The Libra 2 is currently discounted by 20 dollars at the US Kobo store. 159 from 179 dollars
It's the same price on Amazon.com.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:06 PM   #10
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Also discounted by $20 in Canada. I just got mine the other day; so far, really, really liking it.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo clara 2e, kobo libra 2