Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2024, 09:45 AM   #241
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-30-2024 at 09:48 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:48 AM   #242
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
I received my Libra Colour last night, with the pen v2 and the case to go with it all. First impressions after reading for about an hour, the colour layer creating a light moire effect is going to be difficult to get used to for me, but otherwise, it's really fast, responsive, the pen works really good (will be able to ask authors to actually sign INSIDE their ebooks!! ) .

I'm coming from a Libra 2 so I'm satisfied for the current level of tech vs features with this new colour version.

Edit : I do like the feel of the notebook cover a lot, I think it's one of the best Kobo did so far!
Since you have a Libra 2 and Libra Color, with the light off on the Libra 2, what light level would you need for the Libra Color to match the Libra 2? Also, if possible, once you have the light on the lIbra Color matching the Libra 2 (no light), can you please take some photos? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:50 AM   #243
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I only ordered the black Libra Colour, no cover, on 11 April. Have not received a shipping notice yet.

I'm trying to be patient.
I feel your pain. I preordered early in the morning on 10 April and I'm pretty disappointed that I gave Kobo my money 20 days in advance and my order still hasn't shipped.

I might as well have saved my money and picked one up at Best Buy today. I'll bet that they have plenty in stock.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:06 AM   #244
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since you have a Libra 2 and Libra Color, with the light off on the Libra 2, what light level would you need for the Libra Color to match the Libra 2? Also, if possible, once you have the light on the lIbra Color matching the Libra 2 (no light), can you please take some photos? Thanks.
Sure, I created a google album here (first time I do this so here goes) :

Kobo Libra 2 vs Kobo Libra Colour

The first picture is both Libra 2 (left) and Colour (right) at 0% brightness. I would say around 20% brightness needed on the Colour to achieve Libra's level, tho the contrast is definitely not the same.

The 3rd picture is comparing both settings (which shows they're all the same, except the 20% brightness (19, couldn't hit 20) of the Colour)

Edit : Added a bunch more pictures comparing the Libra 2 and the Colour at various luminosity settings. Personally, I find that 50% brightness for the Colour is my sweet spot.

Last edited by Squirsier; 04-30-2024 at 10:45 AM.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:17 AM   #245
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Sure, I created a google album here (first time I do this so here goes) :

Kobo Libra 2 vs Kobo Libra Colour

The first picture is both Libra 2 (left) and Colour (right) at 0% brightness. I would say around 20% brightness needed on the Colour to achieve Libra's level, tho the contrast is definitely not the same.

The 3rd picture is comparing both settings (which shows they're all the same, except the 20% brightness (19, couldn't hit 20) of the Colour)
Thank you. Now what I wonder is how the batter compares given that you have a larger battery in the LC but need to have the light at least 20% and the L2 does not need the light. This is for when you have enough light in the room or outside.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:23 AM   #246
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E; Kobo Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
It fits and the magnet works (at least the chinese cover I have with Van Gogh images).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
That's interesting! My Clara HD cover accepted the 2e, but the magnet had been moved 2" down on the 2e -- so that didn't work.

I use a 2e cover that I'm sure will accept the BW. If the BW magnet is near the left edge of the display and about 2 5/8" up from the bottom of the BW, it should be OK.

There goes my excuse for holding off on one of the new ones.
One other thing: Can you tell me if the USB port on the Clara Color is in the exact same location as on the Clara 2e? The online pics I see seem to show that the Color USB might be slightly farther to the right, but it's hard to tell.

My 2e sleep cover has some leeway for the port location, but I need to know how far off it might be.
Phil_C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:28 AM   #247
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
One other thing: Can you tell me if the USB port on the Clara Color is in the exact same location as on the Clara 2e? The online pics I see seem to show that the Color USB might be slightly farther to the right, but it's hard to tell.

My 2e sleep cover has some leeway for the port location, but I need to know how far off it might be.
Sure. They are not at the same location. I added a picture to the album, the Libra 2 being on top of the Libra Colour. You're looking at a port's distance to the right for the Colour.

Edit : Ah my bad, I do not have the Clara 2E, but I do have a Clara HD somewhere here...

Last edited by Squirsier; 04-30-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:30 AM   #248
Squirsier
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thank you. Now what I wonder is how the batter compares given that you have a larger battery in the LC but need to have the light at least 20% and the L2 does not need the light. This is for when you have enough light in the room or outside.
Wish it had been a sunny day today as I would have taken all my picture outside, but it's not. We have a pretty good white light in our bedroom tho (for my wife's makeup) so that makes up for it.

As for battery life, I'll report if I see anything out of expectations!
Old 04-30-2024, 10:32 AM   #249
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E; Kobo Clara BW
Quote:
Sure. They are not at the same location. I added a picture to the album, the Libra 2 being on top of the Libra Colour. You're looking at a port's distance to the right for the Colour.
Thanks, but I'm looking for the port location on the Clara BW/Color vs the Clara 2e.
Phil_C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:34 AM   #250
Squirsier
Addict

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm looking for the port location on the Clara BW/Color vs the Clara 2e.
Yes, my apologies I read too quick, but maybe the information for both the Libras will be of use to someone else!
Old 04-30-2024, 11:11 AM   #251
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Thank you very much for these side-by-side photos. They are exactly what I've been searching for to help me make up my mind. I'm also interested in your experience with battery life.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 12:13 PM   #252
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
My Libra Colour arrived yesterday afternoon! I have been setting it up with Dropbox and have sent puzzles to it. I have the stylus and the folding cover.

The cover is very comfortable to hold compared to the Libra 2 - it has a very ploomfy feel on the outside (a little cushioned feeling). The inside felt bit is not as soft as on the Libra 2 cover though - I like to put my hand this when I'm reading and it doesn't feel quite as nice.

The stylus is OK - it is plastic on plastic, as others have said. However, I have been spoiled by having a Kindle Scribe for the past year and a half. I will be continuing to do most of my daily puzzles on it for now. I will keep the stylus though, as it is nice to be able to take notes now and then.

Before it arrived, I had purchased an Asterix book and a version of the Hobbit with the original illustrations. For this kind of purpose, it looks gorgeous to me - I like the subtle colors, and am not expecting it to replace my iPad (is anyone?? I don't think so).

HOWEVER, when reading, for me so far, it offers a kind of 'uncanny valley' effect compared to my Libra 2. I was racing through the Ripley books 2-5 on my Libra 2 before this one arrived. So far I have struggled a bit reading on the Libra Colour.

Although the font is sharper and clearer to my eyes than on my Libra 2, sometimes I have difficulty focusing on the correct layer of the screen. I think that might be to do with the moiré layer. I am trying to get used to it, and will hopefully be able to do most of my reading on it.

The Libra Colour device itself feel very nice in the hand, and it is definitely more curved and a little smaller than the Libra 2. It is also more off an off-white pearly color than the bright white of the Libra 2.

The picture with no light is shocking to me - much much worse than on the first e-reader I ever had - which was the Kindle 2 in white. I can't even bring myself to photograph it, sorry.

Another thing that feels extremely strange to me is having the reader go DARKER when I step outside into the bright sun to read in my back yard. I will definitely be using both the Libra Colour and the Libra 2 I will use outside. I know why it happens, but it still seems so counterintuitive in real life.

For me, I will use it for my Asterix books - will be buying more of these, as they look wonderful on this. My DK Smithsonian type books and Art books also look wonderful. I will keep trying to do my leisure reading on this for the next week and see if the uncanny valley feeling wears off.

When I have the light up high (and I mean high!! 85% - 100%), the page background looks nice and bright and the font is really crisp and clear.

When I adjust the brightness using the finger slide motion, there is a lot of flashing around the brightness 'label' at the top of the screen which makes me feel somewhat naseous. I am really hoping all these weird effects wear off. I am one of those people who can feel weird/naseous around certain screens, so I am in a real minority - probably hardly anyone else will experience this. But if you read on ereaders due to having sensitivity on certain screens, the Libra Colour will definitely not suit your purposes.

I will put some pictures up on another post - this one is long enough.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:15 PM   #253
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
It fits and the magnet works (at least the chinese cover I have with Van Gogh images).
Thank you! I ordered the Clara Color. When it comes I'll test out the cover for the 2E and order accordingly. Maybe by then all the knock-off covers will be available.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:27 PM   #254
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Photos of my new Libra Colour attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	207936   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	207937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	207938   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	207939   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic5.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	207940   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic6.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	207941   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic7.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	207942  
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:37 PM   #255
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite & Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Photos of my new Libra Colour attached:
It looks very nice! I'm waiting for mine.

At what percentage was the frontlight on the picture with text only?
Pen&Paper is offline   Reply With Quote