Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2024, 01:38 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistle View Post
Thanks a lot for the advice. I’ll be sure to try out the suggested fonts.

Probably just legacy settings they’ve never thought to change It is subtle, so I doubt it has been a real priority to them. Many in this thread have never noticed, for instance. But I would’ve thought an ereader company would want text on their devices to look as good as possible.

I agree, as I said this problem only applies to certain fonts. ChareInk renders well both with/without hinting (even though I’m not partial to the font itself), as do a few other fonts I tried. But many do not, thus the conceit of the thread.
ChareInk6SP is hinted. I decided since it works find on a Kobo and Kindles prefer hinting that I would add hinting.

You can use ttfautohint to add hinting to fonts that need hinting. It's very easy to use. There are binaries for Windows and Apple.

http://freetype.org/ttfautohint
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:45 PM   #17
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Have you made a list of fonts that don't work properly?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:53 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Have you made a list of fonts that don't work properly?
My guess is they are not hinted and adding hinting as I suggested will most likely be the answer.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:23 AM   #19
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess is they are not hinted and adding hinting as I suggested will most likely be the answer.
I have a couple of side-loaded Hebrew fonts that don't render correctly, although, probably not for the reason discussed here: Punctuation marks (NIKUD) render in the wrong place. I attached a couple of screenshots, comparing how Noto Serif correctly renders them and how that other font does not. If anyone can make suggestions, what might be wrong with the font and how I may edit it to try and fix it I'd be grateful.
I reported this to Kobo months ago, I think it was escalated, but so far it wasn't fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NotoSerifHeb.png
Views:	37
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	207662   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrankReHeb.png
Views:	33
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	207663  
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:01 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
I have a couple of side-loaded Hebrew fonts that don't render correctly, although, probably not for the reason discussed here: Punctuation marks (NIKUD) render in the wrong place.
That's got to be something different and very weird. The dot moves from the vav to the beit? Apologies if I've mixed up names. It's a long while since I did the Aleph Bet, or Hebrew, so I don't know which is wrong. Maybe they only tested on ordinary novels which don't bother with the dots?

How is that even possible? That's like typing Méabh and getting Meábh (though confusingly both of those are used). Or Bán and Bań (which doesn't exist, though ban is also Irish).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:40 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
I have a couple of side-loaded Hebrew fonts that don't render correctly, although, probably not for the reason discussed here: Punctuation marks (NIKUD) render in the wrong place. I attached a couple of screenshots, comparing how Noto Serif correctly renders them and how that other font does not. If anyone can make suggestions, what might be wrong with the font and how I may edit it to try and fix it I'd be grateful.
I reported this to Kobo months ago, I think it was escalated, but so far it wasn't fixed.
Try adding hinting to the font. Go back up to the post where I linked ttfautohint and download it and add hinting and then see how it looks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-17-2024 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:15 AM   #22
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That's got to be something different and very weird. The dot moves from the vav to the beit? Apologies if I've mixed up names. It's a long while since I did the Aleph Bet, or Hebrew, so I don't know which is wrong. Maybe they only tested on ordinary novels which don't bother with the dots?

How is that even possible? That's like typing Méabh and getting Meábh (though confusingly both of those are used). Or Bán and Bań (which doesn't exist, though ban is also Irish).
Not only that, but also notice how the Patach under the Kuf (ק) in the 1st highlighted word is rendered at the wrong place.
I sent Kobo the font and the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try adding hinting to the font. GO back up to the post where I linked ttfautohint and download it and add hinting and then see how it looks.
I should've added this is an otf font.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote