Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-12-2024, 12:47 AM   #196
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Format swapping was never a thing at all with my library until now. The options were to download an ACSM file or read the book in the browser, and you were permitted to do both. The ACSM option was missing this time, though, and there were Kindle and Libby options, instead.

Neither the library website/OverDrive nor the Libby app have the ACSM option; if I try to manage the loan in the app, my options are to read with Kindle or the Libby app, and nothing else. Only libbyapp.com still has the ACSM option, but by the time I found it, I had fiddled around so much that I locked myself out of using it, which I didn't even know was possible. -_-
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:27 AM   #197
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Neither the library website/OverDrive nor the Libby app have the ACSM option
That could definitely be your specific library. I am a member of 7 different libraries. Of those, 5 generally have every book in both AZW3 and EPUB format. The other two libraries only have books in AZW3 format. When I check the exact same book across all libraries and don't see EPUB/ACSM on those last two, I know it's not because the book is not available in EPUB format - since the other 5 libraries have it as such. So libraries must have a choice of what format(s) they offer. All 7 libraries are using Overdrive, BTW.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 12:20 PM   #198
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I've seen that the formats available can differ per book. It's not that a particular format will be available for every ebook the library offers. AFAIK they buy licenses that the publishers offer and those can/are separated by format at the publisher's discretion.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:41 PM   #199
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Well, I may not be using my local library anymore. When I checked out a book, it claimed that I could use ADE to redeem the loan, but the option to download an ACSM file is gone on the library website. I can only read with Kindle or in the browser now. I downloaded Libby and signed into that, and the only options are to read with Libby or Kindle on that, too. If ACSM downloads are gone now, that means I'll have to stop using the library, I guess.
I've had that happen once or twice before. On my libraries, this filter reliably gets me stuff that's ASCMable:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-04-16 15_38_58-Window.png
Views:	60
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	207652

Could be a licensing thing or something going on with yours though.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-16-2024 at 02:48 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:04 PM   #200
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to try checking out the book from libbyapp.com next time, instead of using the library website, to see if the ACSM option appears that way. I suspect it's been removed from the OverDrive page to try to convince us to migrate to Libby. -_-
Old 04-17-2024, 09:39 AM   #201
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I'm going to try checking out the book from libbyapp.com next time, instead of using the library website, to see if the ACSM option appears that way. I suspect it's been removed from the OverDrive page to try to convince us to migrate to Libby. -_-
If this was already addressed and I missed it, apologies. But have you tried borrowing a book you have already borrowed in the past that did provide an ACSM, to see if it still does so now?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:29 PM   #202
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Good idea. My library uses both OverDrive and CloudLibrary, so I'm not entirely sure which books I've gotten from where, but I checked out one that I've read in the past, and it still says Libby and Adobe EPUB are my options when I select it. When I actually check it out and click on "Access this item", though, the window gives me Kindle, Libby, and browser options, and that's it.

I then went to libbyapp.com and tried "Manage loan" on the book, and the ACSM option is present. I clicked on it and got an ACSM file, and now "Manage loan" says I'm locked into the ACSM option and can't use Kindle until I borrow the book again.

If anyone else is having this problem, make sure you try libbyapp.com, I guess. It seems you can't get ACSM files from OverDrive anymore once the changes roll out to your local library, and you can't get ACSM files from Libby on Android and iOS either, since ADE doesn't run on mobile platforms.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:01 PM   #203
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Good idea. My library uses both OverDrive and CloudLibrary, ...
By any chance is your library OCLS?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:07 PM   #204
Aleron Ives
Wizard

I don't know what that means, so probably not.