Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2024, 05:08 PM   #196
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Review of Libra colour and comparison with Libra 2

https://archive.md/rsMub

Key points

1) colors are cool
2) they immediately noticed a color lattice over the screen causing a sort of rainbow effect that goes away once they're concentrating on the text
3) worse contrast and clarity than Libra 2
4) any time there's any color on screen the device resolution seems to take a hit

Of course these are their subjective impressions. YMMV

Last edited by Barty; 04-24-2024 at 05:11 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 05:35 PM   #197
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

Key points

1) colors are cool
2) they immediately noticed a color lattice over the screen causing a sort of rainbow effect that goes away once they're concentrating on the text
4) any time there's any color on screen the device resolution seems to take a hit

Yes, YMMV. I have a Boox Note Air 3C and never notice a rainbow effect. I do notice brightness issue but not really contract/clarity or resolution difference. I have that device mostly for note taking and reading graphic novels which it excels at. I have read regular books a little on occasion and it has been fine for me. I have pre-ordered the Libra Colour, with my experience with NA3C I do not expect any surprises.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2024, 03:49 AM   #198
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:

Key points

1) colors are cool

This is, for me,a very relevant review. I am interested and curious about the new Libra reader, but mostly interested im BW reading.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:37 AM   #199
Dibbler
Enthusiast
Dibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Kobo Aura One, Clara 2E, Clara BW
Quote:

Key points

1) colors are cool

Interesting review and more aligned with what I would expected. Expected, but would have liked to have been wrong.
I need to remind myself, that apart from looking at the book covers on the home screen 99% of what I do with my Aura One book reader is spent reading books........and that is in B&W. So, it would seem somewhat pointless me considering a colour Libra 2.

We did think of one of the colour Libra's for general use, around cookbooks etc, as they often have illustrations in them.

The Kobo Libra 2 (B/W) is sold out at Kobo (UK).
Dibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:41 AM   #200
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:

Key points

1) colors are cool

Great review
The addition of color therefore leads to a significant drop in quality when reading black and white text. Everyone will have to decide whether or not this is acceptable to them. It's a pity that only a one-day trial will allow everyone to test and see if the defects are definitely annoying or tolerable...
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2024, 05:37 AM   #201
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbler View Post
Interesting review and more aligned with what I would expected. Expected, but would have liked to have been wrong.
I need to remind myself, that apart from looking at the book covers on the home screen 99% of what I do with my Aura One book reader is spent reading books........and that is in B&W. So, it would seem somewhat pointless me considering a colour Libra 2.

We did think of one of the colour Libra's for general use, around cookbooks etc, as they often have illustrations in them.

The Kobo Libra 2 (B/W) is sold out at Kobo (UK).
You can get the Libra 2 at Argos.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9508...erm:kobo:4:4:1
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 05:38 AM   #202
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If Kobo had come out with a Libra BW with the same processor and battery as the Libra 2, I may have considered it.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:10 AM   #203
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Kobo had come out with a Libra BW with the same processor and battery as the Libra Colour, I may have considered it.
This is what you want to say ?
Because if the Libra BW is the same as Libra 2, why do we need a Libra BW ?
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 06:34 AM   #204
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
Because the Libra BW would have the Carta 1300 screen which is faster. We would have the faster dual-core processor, battery with more power, and the Libra BW would not have the color layer.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:36 PM   #205
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
Just off the top of my head, here are some of the differences between a Libra Colour and a Libra 2.
  1. 2GHz dual core processor vs 1GHz single core processor.
  2. 1GB of RAM vs 512MB of RAM
  3. 2050mAh battery vs 1420mAh battery
  4. Carta 1300 screen vs Carta 1200 screen
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 08:18 PM   #206
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Libra Colour also supports the Kobo pen for writing. It's likely a future Libra BW would be the same, whereas the notebook functionality is disabled on the Libra 2.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 08:23 PM   #207
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The Libra Colour also supports the Kobo pen for writing. It's likely a future Libra BW would be the same, whereas the notebook functionality is disabled on the Libra 2.
The Libra 2 also "supports" a stylus though very limited since only Sketchpad uses it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 02:54 AM   #208
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
  1. Carta 1300 screen vs Carta 1200 screen
Are you sure the Libra Colour has a Carta 1300 substrate? Obviously we’d hope a putative Libra BW would have Carta 1300…

All the mentions I’ve seen of this have a single source of badereader, and I suspect they just got a press release from Kobo and misinterpreted it.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:19 AM   #209
Dibbler
Enthusiast
Dibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Kobo Aura One, Clara 2E, Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks, appreciate that. It was more to acknowledge the Libra 2 might well be at end of life (?) or at least out of stock at Kobo.
This colour choice of ereaders has somewhat muddied the waters for us to make a choice as to what to buy.
Typically at times like this we eventually sit it out, understanding that my Aura One still works fine. and whilst it is good to see Kobo consider the colour ereader is appropriate as a mainstream product I am not so convinced at this point it would offer great b&w use, great as being similar to what we are used to, nore compelling colour due to the technology that is available today, as wel las the choice of screen sizes etc........

Much to think about, but thanks again for the time taken to post that link. I had hoped that the price of the Libra 2 might drop due to the 3, we shall see.
Dibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 08:22 AM   #210
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Libra Colour might be a Carta1250?

But likely the Carta 1200, 1250 and 1300 have marginal differences and the top surface layer texture is more important (see Voyage vs PW3 and PW4).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote