Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2020, 05:38 AM   #1
Murre
Connoisseur
Murre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook
Clara HD vs Libra Vs Forma

Hi Readers

I wanna get an e-reader.
My problem you ask?
I end up in this loop of not being able to decide.

Clara HD 100$/86€
Libra H2O 175$/150€
Forma 315$/270€

Those are converted prices from SEK (Sweden).

So what am I asking then

How big of a difference can you actually get from spending the extra money? Since I never had an e-reader I don't even have a reference point.

I'm very tempted to go for the Clara HD and see what its like.
But it's pretty old at this point?

Is the 74€ difference for someone that will read only plain text worth it?

Anyone that bought the Clara HD and regretted it after comparing it to the Libra?

Thanks in advance
Murre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:45 AM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
My first Kobo was a Clara, after migrating from a PW4. It's a very good reader in my opinion, and I doubt you would be disappointed. That said, I recently upgraded to a Libra, and I really love its lightness, the 7 inch screen size and the page turn buttons. The waterproofing is a handy bonus too. The list price on my Libra was 20% higher than the price you give (the Clara's price here 10% higher than yours) , but I still consider it a worthwhile investment
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2020, 05:47 AM   #3
Murre
Connoisseur
Murre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
My first Kobo was a Clara, after migrating from a PW4. It's a very good reader in my opinion, and I doubt you would be disappointed. That said, I recently upgraded to a Libra, and I really love its lightness, the 7 inch screen size and the page turn buttons. The waterproofing is a handy bonus too. The list price on my Libra was 20% higher than the price you give (the Clara's price here 10% higher than yours) , but I still consider it a worthwhile investment

Do note, the price I have listed is only for the white model of Libra.
The black one is 169€
Murre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:50 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Going from a 6" screen to a 7" screen is a big deal. The 7" screen is much nicer to read with vs a 6" screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:53 AM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murre View Post
Do note, the price I have listed is only for the white model of Libra.
The black one is 169€
Interesting, they're exactly the same price in my country, a 12% surcharge for the black is surprising
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Size doesn't matter.

I've tried the different sizes (Glo HD, H2O, Forma), and I've stuck with the Glo HD. Decide what is important to you, size, buttons, form factor, ...

If you think size is important, try simulating screen size on a tablet/phone.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Size doesn't matter.

I've tried the different sizes (Glo HD, H2O, Forma), and I've stuck with the Glo HD. Decide what is important to you, size, buttons, form factor, ...

If you think size is important, try simulating screen size on a tablet/phone.
I'll disagree and say size matters. 7" is a sweet spot.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My ideal
A 7.5" diagonal screen, thicker body, recessed page turn, power and home on the side and overall 110 mm x 178 mm with a hinged screen protecting cover that folds to the back would be good. Also IR rather than capacitive to have the brighter screen without front light.

In other words, Pocket Book / Mass Paperback size with a protected recessed screen that shows as much text as the paperback.

Currently an 8" ereader is just too bulky and a 6" too small, so indeed the 7" @ 300 dpi is as good as it gets. The Original H2O is SLIGHTLY brighter in ambient light than the Libra or Kindle PW3, no doubt because it lacks the almost transparent metallised layers that capacitive touch needs. A side by side comparision by room lighting showed the PW4 is ever so slightly greyer than the Libra or PW3 (which are identical grey/white without the front light in normal reading light).

If the Libra and Forma were fatter, then the PCB would be able to be behind the display's alloy support. That would cut the width by nearly 20 mm(a 3/4"). The obsession with thinness for things you'd not put in tight jeans is plain stupid. An add-on cover adds 3mm to 4mm depth, compared to 1mm for a designed on flap and also about 3mm width, or a lot more on stupid phone bumpers. A consequence of design for advertising and not for real life.

A Company I was with in the late 1980s studied this for a PDA design. Tested pockets, suits, handbags etc. Up to 10 mm is fine. Even 12mm if the cover is built in. We made wooden models with hinged lids and simulated displays.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
If you’d be content with a 6” screen, it’s silly to spend more money and it’s more portable, too. That said, I think the jump from 6” to 7” is a bigger gain in readability than the jump from 7” to 8”, yet the cost increase from 7” to 8” is much greater. Also, the Libra is the latest device, for what that’s worth.

Another way to approach it is to consider what your main use will be. The more you read at home, the more attractive a large reader, while the more portable you want it, the more attractive a small one. The Libra might be a good compromise, or it might fail to achieve either goal.

If you’ve not had an ereader (there’s a Nook listed in your profile), over $300 seems like a whole lot to blow on spec and the Clara might really be your best choice as you test the waters.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
Love my Clara HD. Fit’s my lifestyle. Always on the go and carry it in pockets almost all the time. Never have to think take or don’t take, just take.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #11
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Forma and Libra H20 are larger than the Clara. I own the Clara, and I love its form factor. Even with the sleep cover, it's very light and slim to the point that it can be described as "pocketable". The 6" screen is bright and clear and great for reading.

If you prefer a larger screen and physical page turn buttons then the Clara is not the one you want.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If you’d be content with a 6” screen, it’s silly to spend more money and it’s more portable, too. That said, I think the jump from 6” to 7” is a bigger gain in readability than the jump from 7” to 8”, yet the cost increase from 7” to 8” is much greater. Also, the Libra is the latest device, for what that’s worth.

Another way to approach it is to consider what your main use will be. The more you read at home, the more attractive a large reader, while the more portable you want it, the more attractive a small one. The Libra might be a good compromise, or it might fail to achieve either goal.

If you’ve not had an ereader (there’s a Nook listed in your profile), over $300 seems like a whole lot to blow on spec and the Clara might really be your best choice as you test the waters.
Speaking of portability, I find my original H2O quite portable.

Size of the H2O: 179 x 129 x 9.7 mm
Size of the Libra H2O: 144 x 159 x 7.8 mm
Size of the Clara HD: 159.6 x 110 x 8.35 mm

So the Libra will also be very portable. I agree that 7" will be better for reading. When I went with the H2O with a 6.8" screen, I decided that a 6" screen is a bit small. I got spoiled by the larger screen.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
If you prefer a larger screen and physical page turn buttons then the Clara is not the one you want.
You don't have to use the page turn buttons if you prefer the touch screen.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #14
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Going from a 6" screen to a 7" screen is a big deal. The 7" screen is much nicer to read with vs a 6" screen.
If you're only reading text then I don't see how it matters. If you need larger text then simply increase the font size. Now for PDF documents and comic books, yes, the bigger the screen the better.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #15
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't have to use the page turn buttons if you prefer the touch screen.
Well, yes, but if one prefers physical page turn buttons then the Clara is not the reader for them since it is touchscreen only.