Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
the7gerbers
Connoisseur
the7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litter

Device: Kindles (Fire HD, Fire, Paperwhite) iPhone
iPod touch alternative (cheaper!) to read with?

I have a Sony 700 that I really like, but I'd still like to have something smaller that I can take in my purse with just a few books on it. I thought about an iPod touch (don't want or need an iphone), but wonder if there are other alternatives out there, similar in function (use Stanza) but less in price. Anyone?
the7gerbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
any old PDA that uses Palm OS (can be gotten for about 20 bucks) you can Load Mobi Reader on my girlfriend uses a sony sj-20, Largish reading area, its decent. picked it up on ebay for 25. can be had for a little less if you shop around.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Hi,

There are quite a few;

- Archos media tablets(a little on bigger side and a little pricey and not much file format support);
- Nokia N800/N810
- Any of the HP IPAQ pocket PCs or Dell Axim(old ones should be quite low priced)
- Sharp Zaurus (out of production..)

I would suggest an old HP IPAQ as these have bigger screens and have support for some popular file formats. Also they should be easy to find.

I personally use a Nokia N95(still looking for my 1st dedicated reader). Mobi files are good to read; RSS support through mobi is really fantastic. pdf support is available for namesake. This goes for most other n-series phones.

However all of these are devices with backlit LCD. So long time reading may be difficult.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
I would suggest an old HP IPAQ as these have bigger screens and have support for some popular file formats. Also they should be easy to find.
I'd second the recommendation. iPaq's are superbly engineered, and there's a huge range of reading applications available for them - Microsoft Reader (built in ROM on the iPaq), MobiPocket, eReader, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Until I decide on a dedicated e-book device, I'm currently using my blackberry with the mobipocket and e-reader software installed on it to read my books.

The benefit is that I have my books with me all the time in a single device and am able to view them in a dark room with the backlight support of my blackberry.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
As much as you're avoiding the iPod Touch, and as good as your reasons for doing so are, I actually think it might be a good idea to save up for one. The screen to device ratio is probably the best you can find, and it has the most active software community, so your odds of getting a reader you like are high.

Plus, you can use it for music, movies, etc.. all that stuff. It's a multipurpose device. Maybe you should hunt around for refurbed units or used ones? Apple updates them often enough that there is probably a healthy secondary market.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I go with the others here: any PDA or PDA phone edition will give you great reading experience.

And, it has a plus; it’s always with you…
“One knows that one reads when he/she has his books with him/her”.

Good reading
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post
As much as you're avoiding the iPod Touch, and as good as your reasons for doing so are, I actually think it might be a good idea to save up for one. The screen to device ratio is probably the best you can find, and it has the most active software community, so your odds of getting a reader you like are high.
To play devil's advocate, I find that I enjoy reading ebooks on my old Sony Clie PDA (also 480x320) more than on my iPod Touch. The key for me is its scroll wheel, which is much more comfortable for one-handed reading -- I'm not a fan of tapping or swiping the screen to turn pages. Plus, the battery life is significantly better than on the Touch.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
If you do decide to go for a Touch, I suggest checking to see if they have refurbished ones at Apple's website. I recently got my husband a 16 gb 1st generation refurbished Touch there for $219. (a savings of $80 over the current 2nd gen Touch.) Apple replaces the battery and the outer casing on all refurbished Touches. My husband's looks brand new.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 AM   #10
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
To play devil's advocate, I find that I enjoy reading ebooks on my old Sony Clie PDA (also 480x320) more than on my iPod Touch. The key for me is its scroll wheel, which is much more comfortable for one-handed reading -- I'm not a fan of tapping or swiping the screen to turn pages. Plus, the battery life is significantly better than on the Touch.
+1

I use my old Clie NX80V and it works fine. I also still use all the PDA functions as well. Even have basic wifi web access if I need it quickly.

Any of the Clie's with a side wheel that is actually on the side of the device not on the top is a wonderful device for exactly the reason you mention, it fits in one hand nicely and can be almost completely controlled with one hand. I use Mobireader on mine but also have another installed I think it is ereader?

I have yet to find a dedicated device which justifies the $350+ premium over the Clie.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 AM   #11
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7gerbers View Post
I have a Sony 700 that I really like, but I'd still like to have something smaller that I can take in my purse with just a few books on it. I thought about an iPod touch (don't want or need an iphone), but wonder if there are other alternatives out there, similar in function (use Stanza) but less in price. Anyone?
Only kidding!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGgE0pbn47Q
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
sigma8
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Always happy to have the Devil's Advocate

I find it quite comfortable to swipe pages in Stanza. If you hold the iPhone/Touch in your palm, your thumb will find itself naturally hovering over the screen with a full range of motion. It's extremely easy to swipe.

I haven't used Clie's, but I have used Treo rocker switches. I always felt like using it a lot would cause my thumb-knuckle to cramp up. So who knows which would be better? Another advantage of the Touch's screen is that it's ambidextrous, for whatever that's worth.

All this is personal preference, though. My main reasoning behind getting a Touch or iPhone is that when it comes to pockets, space is at a premium. You want to get something as small as possible and with as much convergence as possible (to minimize the amount of gadgets you need to shove into your pocket). The iPhone and Touch are pretty powerful convergence devices. They're certainly more futureproof than something that has been obsolete already for a couple years.

If it's easy to acquire an old PDA for next to nothing, that's a great option. If it doesn't work out, it won't be a big loss. But if any appreciable amount of money needs to be spent, I'd spend it on something that best accomplishes the task while creating as few new problems as possible.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The iPod Touch is not a cheaper alternative. Plus the battery will die pretty quickly from having the screen on. You'll get maybe 3 hours with it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
sigma8
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The iPod Touch is not a cheaper alternative. Plus the battery will die pretty quickly from having the screen on. You'll get maybe 3 hours with it.
I don't think anyone accused it of being inexpensive. As for the battery life, I think 3 hours is conservative. But if you're going to be reading for more than 3 hours at a time, preferably you will have your eReader with you. My assumption was that the7gerbers wanted something handy for shorter, impromptu reading sessions.

Amazon certainly is aware of this, and they've released Kindle for the iPhone. They expect you to use your Kindle for your extended reading sessions, but if you're in line at the store, and want to just read a couple pages while you wait, you can use your iPod. The great part with amazon's implementation is that the iPhone/Touch and your Kindle's bookmarks will stay in sync, so you read for a couple hours on your Kindle. Shut it off. Then when you look at your iPhone/Touch, it will be at the place you left off (or so the marketing has me believe; I don't have a Kindle to try it with).

Of course, things won't be quite as convenient as that if you have something other than a Kindle. The general use-pattern would still be the same: extended reading on an eReader (or actual book) and short reading bursts on a compact device. If longer reading is required, then I agree that any device with a backlit LCD screen would be inadequate.

edit2: BTW, I don't mean to toot the Apple horn so loudly, it's just the only current convergence device that I'm very familiar with. I meant to advise against picking up some bulky, old thing. Unless it's super on-the-cheap. Or free.

Last edited by sigma8; 03-19-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post
I don't think anyone accused it of being inexpensive.
He said "cheaper". Read the title of this thread.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipod touch