Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
lith61
lith61 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S5
Question Unable to disable rescaling of font sizes

Folks,

Whenever I've used Calibre to generate the MOBI from my HTML, my large title and subtitle kept looking much smaller than when I used Kindle Previewer to do it.

When I look at "Show job details," it appears that no matter what I do, Calibre keeps insisting on remapping the font sizes to smaller sizes.

Here's an example where I disabled font size rescaling but kept all the other default conversion settings. I've attached the Microsoft Word original document and the HTML it generates, screencaps of Kindle for PC showing how Calibre converts it vs. how Kindle Previewer converts it, and the log (job details) of what Calibre does even with font size rescaling disabled.

With the KindleUnpack plugin, I looked at the HTML that Calibre created. It looks like everything is being mapped to either 1 em or 2 em. That is, 1 em for the text and 2 em for all headings, titles, etc. I've looked at the MOBI that Kindle Previewer generates and it doesn't do any such thing.

I noticed that the title is being mapped to font size 7, so I then tried to enable font size scaling with a font size key whose 7th value is my desired title size. But that didn't help either.

I read all my books on my PC with apps like Kindle for PC. I don't want the Kindle's narrow range of font sizes. I would like the MOBI to look as close to the original Microsoft Word doc as possible: large title and all.

I admit I'm a newbie at this. What am I doing wrong here?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Demo.zip (1.03 MB, 179 views)

Last edited by lith61; 11-17-2015 at 02:08 PM.
lith61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to azw3 not mobi
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
lith61
lith61 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S5
Smile

I now realize that Kindle Previewer is actually implementing the equivalent of the Calibre MOBI Output setting "MOBI file type: Both."

That is, it's generating both the old and the new MOBI standards. And if you try to display it on iOS, it asks you to convert it to AZW anyway.

Unlike Calibre, Kindle Previewer does NOT warn you that various Kindle devices may have trouble displaying both. It just goes and does it that way.

But since Amazon is a huge corporation, they don't need no stinkin' warnings.

And since I'm editing eBooks for Amazon, that's good enough for me.

We can mark this issue Solved!
lith61 is offline   Reply With Quote