Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #1021
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakingOfBrad View Post
I am using Inverted.
But what I would like to use is Inverted with a patch that inverts the cover images (so that they're displayed normally). But I don't want the patch to invert he images within the book as most of the images I've seen are just page decoration (mainly at the start of a chapter) and they appear with a white background in Dark Mode but look correct in Inverted.

I found this thread which says it's possible to invert the images within the book, so it seems like it may be possible to invert the covers with a patch.

I kindly request a patch to invert the cover images (for use with inverted screen mode).
Yes, it's possible to do it in code. But is it possible to get the system to do it when only in Inverted? I'm rather skeptical.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:52 PM   #1022
egin
egin began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
sounds great! maybe also add a fullscreen cover!
egin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 01:33 PM   #1023
Frank
Frank began at the beginning.

Device: Kono Libra 2
Patch request: sort books by filename

First of all; amazing work and keep up the good work.

I would like to request a patch that Kobo can sort books by filename (just the ordinary filename and not by metadata).

Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 04:34 PM   #1024
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
First of all; amazing work and keep up the good work.

I would like to request a patch that Kobo can sort books by filename (just the ordinary filename and not by metadata).

Frank
Double posting is frowned upon.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 03:12 PM   #1025
SpeakingOfBrad
SpeakingOfBrad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it's possible to do it in code. But is it possible to get the system to do it when only in Inverted? I'm rather skeptical.
Oh, it doesn't have to only invert the covers if the system is inverted. I'm totally fine with knowing that if I enable/disable the system inverted colors patch then I should also enable/disable the inverted covers patch. It would be pretty silly for someone to enable the inverted covers patch without also enabling the inverted system colors patch, but to each their own.
SpeakingOfBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:51 AM   #1026
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Is there/could we get a patch to disable bringing up the menu when the top of the screen is tapped? Please and thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 02:18 PM   #1027
late_reader
late_reader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello there!

Don't know if it has been requested, but I'd love to be able to replace the discover menu item with articles so I could jump on pocket saves quickly.

That or maybe have back the possibility to change the kobo shop section from the 3rd row to access articles, again my obsession with pocket I saw that at some point this was possible (found older yaml files here and here that had a patch called "Change Browse Kobo home screen link target - Articles"), but I saw that firmware 4.28 was the last one to have that patch, then it disappeared.

In any case, thank you for the wonderful work so far!

Cheers!
late_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:09 PM   #1028
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by late_reader View Post
Don't know if it has been requested, but I'd love to be able to replace the discover menu item with articles so I could jump on pocket saves quickly.

That or maybe have back the possibility to change the kobo shop section from the 3rd row to access articles, again my obsession with pocket I saw that at some point this was possible (found older yaml files here and here that had a patch called "Change Browse Kobo home screen link target - Articles"), but I saw that firmware 4.28 was the last one to have that patch, then it disappeared.
Have you tried the existing patch Only show Pocket SmartLink located in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml? It's not exactly what you asked for but, as far as I know, it does put a permanent direct link to Pocket access on the Home screen - in row 3 column 2.

It's not one I use myself but I'm not aware that anyone has reported it as no longer working in the latest fw, 4.38.21908.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:15 AM   #1029
LuisBrandao
LuisBrandao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks for the great work being done here. I'd like to request a patch, if it's possible.

I'm a little obsessed with the unevenness of my screen's lightning - I can clearly see whiter corners at the bottom and the white / yellow colour merging. It's probably nothing to most people but, probably a little OCD-induced, I notice it every single time I reach the bottom of a page. I've switched devices, with some success, but not total.

I've also seen some improvements playing around the bottom margins and removing Book progress - in short, having more text in the bottom of the page improves the experience except for the specific line of text at the bottom, where I can see the unevenness while reading.

Then it occurred to me that this could be greatly improved if the area dedicated to book progress and below could be in dark mode, while all the rest in regular white mode (this way the dark part would hide the uneven light). It would look something like the attached image:

Is this something doable?

Thank you so much!
Luís
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark-bottom.png
Views:	34
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	206172  

Last edited by DNSB; 02-02-2024 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Moved image to attachment.
LuisBrandao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:21 AM   #1030
LuisBrandao
LuisBrandao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Sorry about the image, couldn't figure out how to add it but I've left a link.
Thanks
LuisBrandao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:01 AM   #1031
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBrandao View Post
Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks for the great work being done here. I'd like to request a patch, if it's possible.

I'm a little obsessed with the unevenness of my screen's lightning - I can clearly see whiter corners at the bottom and the white / yellow colour merging. It's probably nothing to most people but, probably a little OCD-induced, I notice it every single time I reach the bottom of a page. I've switched devices, with some success, but not total.

I've also seen some improvements playing around the bottom margins and removing Book progress - in short, having more text in the bottom of the page improves the experience except for the specific line of text at the bottom, where I can see the unevenness while reading.

Then it occurred to me that this could be greatly improved if the area dedicated to book progress and below could be in dark mode, while all the rest in regular white mode (this way the dark part would hide the uneven light). It would look something like this (https://ibb.co/6wpYfSb):

Thank you so much!
Luís
That should be relatively easy to do properly with a NickelHook mod (similar to how NickelClock works), or hackily with a script and FBInk. I don't have time to work on this myself, though.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:48 AM   #1032
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Sorry about the image, couldn't figure out how to add it but I've left a link.
Thanks
There you go.

Name:	Dark-bottom.png
Views:	36
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	206169

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-02-2024 at 10:57 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:14 PM   #1033
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
It looks like @geek1011 doesn't have the time to do a "proper job" for a suitable patch. The only, much simpler, patch for nickel.yaml I could find was one which sets the caption background to black and looks like the attached screenshot.

As you can see - pretty bad - not least because there's no way to affect the footer without also affecting the header.

You could just read with Dark Mode switched on. That would make it hard to see any uneven lighting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dark_hdr_ftr.png
Views:	47
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	206176  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 02:32 AM   #1034
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You could also disable the frontlight and switch to using a reading lamp, and then you'll never be bothered by the unevenness again.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:15 AM   #1035
hsuan9522
hsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavenshsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavenshsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavenshsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavenshsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavenshsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavenshsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavenshsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavenshsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavenshsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavenshsuan9522 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: kobo nia
Hello, I'm not sure if this functionality is achievable.

I am a Chinese user, and I know that through Calibre's plugin, I can convert the layout and then transfer it to Kobo.
However, I still hope for a feature that can freely switch between vertical and horizontal layouts in Kobo.

I took a quick look at the differences between vertical and horizontal layouts, and it seems to be related to the differences in CSS and the 'page-progression-direction' attribute in the content.opf file under the <spine>, am I correct?
hsuan9522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests