Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Kindle 4 Upgrade Attempt to 4.1 failure and now not working #noobfail

Hoping someone out there has some insights or help on what I can do to get my kindle 4 up and running again. I had the simple screensaver hack using data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh running 4.0 for few months and it has worked great (minus it restarting when wifi was turned on and saying that the software update was unsuccessful). I paid it no mind for the most part but today I read about the 4.1 update and really wanted the update because of the supposed better font crispness so tried to uninstall but that didn't work. Tried a reinstall and that failed too. I deleted some files and now it turns on just fine, says its registered to me but shows nothing but the archive folder when i put it to sleep, the screen is blank and no screensavers. I plugged it in to see what's on the Kindle ('documents' folder, DON'T_HALT_ON_REPAIR, driveinfo.calibre. metadata.calibre, and 'screensaver' folder). I have about 50 books in the documents but none show up when i unplug from my mac.

I've been running through threads the past few hours but dont' know where to go. Do i do the simple debricking method even though it still turns on and allows me to turn of wifi, restart, etc? Is it a matter of placing missing files on my K4? Admittedly, went noobcrazy and funked my kindle all up. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by feelmaroon; 11-04-2012 at 01:36 AM.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@feelmaroon: Restart your Kindle once or twice, then try this.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
feelmaroon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@feelmaroon: Restart your Kindle once or twice, then try this.
Thanks, NiLuJe.

Restarted twice, then put the "update_k4-ss-kill_0.2.N.bin" file into kindle then unplugged and went to "Update Your Kindle" and its shaded grey, unfortunately. Is there a reason it's not seeing the .bin?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Which .bin file?

Shaded gray means it isn't a package recognized for that model of kindle.
Possibly caused by the removal of the "jailbreak" keys.

The "blank screen, no screen savers shown" is a symptom of missing (or still renamed) original screensavers.
That will prevent you from doing the update to 4.1, a very common (and commonly posted) problem here it seems.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
feelmaroon
Connoisseur

thanks, knc1. makes sense. i screwed up for sure. are there specific files that i can add back into the Kindle (jailbreak "keys")? i'll look around at some of the other posts as well. appreciated.

"Which .bin file?"...I placed NiLuJe's suggestion, "update_k4-ss-kill_0.2.N.bin" onto Kindle4

Last edited by feelmaroon; 11-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then you don't have a K4, or you put it in the wrong folder, and/or the userstore is very wonky. Check your device's S/N, make sure you're doing proper restarts (via the Settings page menu).

Did you happen to try to jailbreak it again at one point (or try to use a data.tar.gz to kill the screensavers hack)? Might want to make a trip to the diags mode (via mfgtool if need be) to make sense of the mess....

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-04-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
feelmaroon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Then you don't have a K4, or you put it in the wrong folder, and/or the userstore is very wonky. Check your device's S/N, make sure you're doing proper restarts (via the Settings page menu).

Did you happen to try to jailbreak it again at one point (or try to use a data.tar.gz to kill the screensavers hack)? Might want to make a trip to the diags mode (via mfgtool if need be) to make sense of the mess....
Yeah, dropped it right into the main folder. But yes, i did try to jailbreak it again and used the data.tar.gz so its indeed a mess. i did a factory reset before all of that like a dumbass and erased everything on the root. don't know how to get into diags mode but willing to try. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, had to boot diags via mfgtool/usb_mx_loader when I ran into this issue (it stems from the crappy ss hack + factory reset). Check the select boot/debrickibg threads.