Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 05-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
eSEB
eSEB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Viewer uses over 300mb per book

Hello,

I recently updated to Calibre 5.17 from the 3.something I've used for a long time. I have had some issues with the viewer. I never had any issues before, so I can't say whether all of these "problems" are new. First, the viewer takes an inordinate amount time to load a book, and then, if it does load, it consumes over 300mb of RAM, even for a 150kb epub file. A second book take another 300+mb. And so on. Each book has four processes, the viewer plus three instances of C++ Application Development Framework. Second, and since I have plenty of RAM more important, the toolbar is gone. One can, for example, navigate through a book only one page at a time.

I'm using the 64bit version of Calibre for Windows 10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eSEB
eSEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSEB View Post
. . .
Second, and since I have plenty of RAM more important, the toolbar is gone. One can, for example, navigate through a book only one page at a time.
Sorry, can't help with memory usage.

But show/Hide toolbar is the same as its always been, Ctrl+F11

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #3
eSEB
eSEB began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Sorry, can't help with memory usage.

But show/Hide toolbar is the same as its always been, Ctrl+F11

BR
Ha! Thanks! All riled up about the RAM, I forgot to fn+ctrl as I went through the function keys. Thanks again.

eSEB
eSEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The RAM consumption comes from chromium, which the viewer uses since calibre 4.x. Complain to Google about chromium's memory footprint. As for slow first load, that is only first load of a book, subsequent loads will actually be faster than the viewer in 3.x (assuming your system doesnt have an underpowered GPU that causes chromium to take forever to initilize).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote