View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 06:31 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistle View Post
Thanks. I tried it and it seems to render quite well on the stock reader. Auto hinting is still being applied, but along with Bookerly and a few other default fonts, it’s not severe and is still aligned correctly.

You may have misinterpreted what I said though, as Koreader doesn’t require the fonts to be hinted. It gives you the choice between off, native, or auto, so you can select whichever you prefer. On many fonts, auto creates misaligned characters. Turning it off fixes the issue.

In comparison, the stock Kobo reader always has the misaligned characters (with certain fonts). If the font has native hinting, it uses it, and if it’s unhinted then it applies auto hinting. Either way, the font is wobbly. There’s no way that I know of to disable auto hinting on unhinted fonts, thus why I created this thread.

The only way I know of to have all fonts render properly is to use Koreader and disable hinting, which is what I’m doing for the time being.

(Also here’s the gif again as the previous link broke):
I've used ChareInk6SP with KOReader and I've not disabled hinting and it works very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote