View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 07:12 PM   #8
mistle
mistle began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tried KOReader, Plato, RMSDK and the WebKit based renderer used for kepubs and did not see any "wobbly' looking fonts at the font size I normally use when reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've never seen "wobbly" fonts in Kobo's ADE or Kepub renderers, nor on KOReader (Elipsa for a while and also the Likebook Mars). I also don't think KOReader looks better.
I made a gif: https://i.imgur.com/gKyvnid.gif

(font is EB Garamond Absinthe, but I get similar results with many other fonts also)

Notice how the "u" raises up above the top of the neighboring "o" and "s". The cross on the "t" and "f" do the same.

Along the bottom, the "f" and "h" appear to stick out lower. This is actually an optical illusion caused by the bad autohinting, where any of the letters with rounded bottoms are pixel-perfectly aligned to the bottom line. Whereas with no hints, they stick out ever so slightly below, which is the correct way to align rounded characters. To the human eye it appears correct. This is how printed text in a book behaves.

You can also see it messed up the serifs a little, have a look at how it flattens out the serif on the left stem of the "u", and the bottoms of "h" and "f".

--

I know this is subtle and perhaps nitpicky for most people, but hey we're staring at these words for hours on end. In the context of reading a whole page, all these inconsistencies sorta mesh together and make the text overall look "wonky" and misaligned.

I'm thankful I can have beautiful, print-like text in Koreader. But I really wish it was possible for Kobo to natively, y'know, render beautiful print-like text. It's kind of the one thing I expected it to do.

If anyone knows a way to get these results on the stock reader I'd be eternally thankful

Last edited by mistle; 04-12-2024 at 07:14 PM.
mistle is offline   Reply With Quote