View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 08:40 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
The problem is that this feature will bind this book to the ANON account. So better make sure to never lose the decrypted book.
Yes, I do have an Adobe Account, but not used since 2016.

1) The ACSM downloads expire in a few hours and then are useless. You don't get an encrypted ebook from Google or Kobo, but the ACSM file to redeem it.
2) You assume the seller still exists for a fresh download.
3) I save a copy outside of Calibre at once.
4) I have multiple backups of all user files and Calibre export and all the ebooks on at least one ereader.

I think no more risk than drm removal from Kindle ebooks via serial ID of eink. Amazon can unilaterally kill your account and you lose "library" if you make too many physical item returns, or for other reasons.

Backups are good and one reason to de-DRM in the first place because you can't have sensible backup for a future device if the current one is broken with DRM.

I'm curious though, On the DeACSM plugin there is "Export account encryption key" and "Export account activation data", which do something and create files.

What are those files (which are exported and backed up) for?

Maybe you have to answer by PM.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-18-2024 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Stray a
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote