View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 07:29 AM   #173
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I'm reading "One of us knows" by Alyssa Cole, and it's really good, but also so tense that I need to take breaks. I don't usually read horror, but this one's intriguing: Ken has multiple personality disorder, and the main personality has been dormant for six years when she suddenly finds herself back, waiting for a boat to take her to an island where she's been hired as a caretaker of a historic castle. Except: None of the personalities remember applying for the job.

There are multiple levels of horror: There's something supernatural in the castle, there's something going between the multiple personalities (has one of them been lying to the others?), there are real world horrors of racism, sexism, and powerful men with no scruples, and also: The last time she was out in the world was in 2014 - why do I carry surgical masks and disinfectant in my pockets?
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote