View Single Post
Old 11-14-2023, 05:22 PM   #24
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyzz View Post
I'd like to create a simple implementation of the preview cli. I want to find the KFX file format in your KFX Input plugin code, but don't know where to look at, could you please give some hints?
Here is a brief overview of the significant code in kfxlib, most of which is common to the KFX Input and KFX Output plugins.
  • generate_kpf_common.py, generate_kpf_using_cli.py - Invoke Kindle Previewer CLI to convert EPUB to KPF.
  • ion.py - Amazon Ion format, which is the underlying data format for KFX.
  • ion_binary.py - The binary representation of Ion.
  • ion_symbol_table.py - Ion symbol tables.
  • ion_text.py - The text representation of Ion, useful for debugging.
  • kfx_container.py - KFX file structure. Ion data fragments in a compact container.
  • kpf_book.py - Book structure specific to KPF format.
  • kpf_container.py - KPF file structure. Ion data fragments in an SQLite database.
  • resources.py - Images, fonts, and mime types.
  • yj_book.py - Handle the multiple files that make up a book in KFX format. Starting point for conversion.
  • yj_container.py - Book content as a list of data fragments in Ion format.
  • yj_metadata.py - Book metadata.
  • yj_position_location.py - The methods by which book content is indexed.
  • yj_structure.py - Consistency checks for various types of Ion data fragments.
  • yj_symbol_catalog.py - Dummy Ion symbol catalog.
  • yj_to_epub.py - Overall conversion of KFX to EPUB.
  • yj_to_epub_content.py - Conversion of book content.
  • yj_to_epub_illustrated_layout.py - Conversion of Kindle in Motion books. No longer being produced.
  • yj_to_epub_metadata.py - Conversion of book metadata.
  • yj_to_epub_misc.py - Miscellaneous data conversion.
  • yj_to_epub_navigation.py - Navigation conversion: table of contents, guide, etc.
  • yj_to_epub_notebook.py - Scribe notebooks.
  • yj_to_epub_properties.py - Conversion of CSS properties.
  • yj_to_epub_resources.py - Conversion of fonts and images.
  • yj_to_pdf.py - Conversion of KFX book images to PDF.
  • yj_versions.py - Known KFX metadata.

Notes:

KFX and KPF store data structures using Amazon Ion format. That is the only documented aspect of KFX as far as I know. The data structures that make up a book are called fragments.

My code contains Ion symbols in their numeric form, such as $123. I did not include a copy of the YJ_symbols symbol table to avoid copying anything significant from Amazon. You can obtain the actual symbol table by decompiling EpubToKFXConverter-4.0.jar from Kindle Previewer and looking for the enumeration that begins with "kProperty_Invalid".

The KFX Output plugin converts KPF from Kindle Previewer to KFX. However this is mostly just a repackaging of Ion fragments. The hard work is done by the Kindle Previewer.

My code wasn't written to be especially readable. There are no comments.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote