View Single Post
Old 11-14-2023, 12:41 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Look at Winetricks and Playonlinux on your Linux. Both (and other WINE) stuff are on Mint's Software Manager GUI.

I used to always setup WINE, but I've lost interest in it. It's most use for 32 bit Windows programs that don't work on 64 bit Win7 or Win10, but you need to set an env variable to get that otherwise there is only 64 bit support.
I do have an old LT Spice, Word & Excel 2003, Orbitron, VB6 based uTracer and an old Eagle CAD I had on XP (all 32 bit) and a few other 32 bit XP programs that are orphaned or developer is dead. I have also XP. Win7 and Win1o VMs on Vbox. My Weather station GUI on the XP VM, though there is a Linux (web) server program for it. I gave up on Amazon's Windows software on WINE years ago when the PC reader app stopped logging in. I think I tried Kindle Creator or Previewer years ago and they didn't work on WINE. Since we use Calibre for years now rather than Mobipocket Creator (over 12 years ago?) and test ebooks on real ereaders and switched from docx to epub for upload to Amazon Publishing, I can't see the point of the Amazon Windows SW. The Previewer isn't accurate.
Also if I want electronic to match paper I use PDF. Otherwise I prefer epub to kepub and azw3 to kfx. AFAIK the only real way to test KFX is to publish and buy the ebook via Whispernet on a suitable real Kindle. Amazon is an increasingly messed up "walled garden".
So now I only read epubs on epub compatible (usually Kobo Sage, but also a 5″ Sony and 4.7″ Chinese thing) and only use Kindles to test new layout/format designs in an ebook.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-14-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote