View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 04:34 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Spoiler:
All the ideas in HP are copied.
Jill Murphy, Worst Witch (1st book in series 1974, was on TV)
John Masefield, The Midnight Folk (1927). Sequel Box of Delights was on BBC. The people moving in paintings.
Eva Ibbotson, The Secret of Platform 13 (1994, 3 years before 1st HP). Kings Cross Station has a secret portal. The boy heir is a virtual slave in the posh house in London and is rescued by magical people.
English Boarding School stories 1870s to 1980s.
He whose name shall not be mentioned is a common trope as is the chosen one and the smart girl unexpectedly flung into magical society.

J. Rowling was just very lucky. Also she was lucky that Ibbotson took the copying as a complement and didn't sue. Ibbotson died 20 October 2010 (aged 85). Born in Austria and fled Nazis. Above is just the main HP sources, though I did enjoy all the books better than The Wheel of Time. Never watched the last two movies as they where a bit flat compared to the book, though I have them on BD. I also didn't watch the last Hobbit movie as the first two seemed barely connected with the book. He tried to make a kids/YA book worthy of one movie into a LOTR style adult trilogy of movies. Daft.

I've only read part of Sanderson's completion of Jordan's The Wheel of Time series, which I gave up on. It should have been a 5 or 6 book series.

Edit:
HP influences, and incomplete.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_..._and_analogues
I've read many of these too.
Oh, sure. I've never thought that Rowling's idea was all that original, she just implemented it in more detail than was done previously.

I enjoyed the Wheel of Time, regardless of dragging. As with Sanderson's books, it will never be in my top 50 list; but it was pretty good entertainment. Harry Potter wasn't entertaining for me, it was boring. YMMV.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote