View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 05:36 AM   #2900
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Exclamation Mysterious Annotation import behaviour

As well as reading for fun I proof read epub originated in LO Writer via odt -> docx ->Calibre epub.

So I make short notes with big highlights. These are saved as text files to view while editing in LO Writer. They are never synced nor copied into the epubs in Calibre or saved in Calibre, that would be varyiing from disastrous to pointless.

I discovered that if the Calibre record has no formats (like they have been deleted so an outdated version isn't copied to an ereader), the Kobo Utilities gives a blank window when attempting to read Annotations etc for an ebook on the ereader. Putting ANY epub file (maybe any file?) in the ebook record on Calibre allows the annotation to appear in the popup window and be copy/pasted into my text editor, which years ago was Notepad++, but now is KATE.

Though reading annotations by this method for years, I first encountered this this week. The Kobo Database was OK and as another title that still had formats could have annotations read, I guessed that adding a file to Calibre would re-enable the Annotation fetching.

Not sure if this a bug or intentional, but I'd never ever want to copy reading position/bookmarks/highlights/notes into the actual epub file in Calibre. I disabled that in the Viewer years ago. I have columns for reading status etc and haven't stored annotations in Calibre since changing from Kindle to Kobo.

I know about adding a menu on the Kobo and text export there, but finding a title in Calibre and import to clipboard from ereader is more convenient.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote